Thursday, August 30, 2012

Larry Crowne REVIEW


The "Motion Picture Buff" would like to present a review for Tom Hanks directional debut, "Larry Crowne." This film is about Larry Crowne, Tom Hank's character, who loses his job, and then tries to reinvent himself. By doing so he decides to go to a community college.

Well for this review lets start out with the negatives shall we? I would like to say first though before I get to them, that this movie surprised me. So now first negative is the screenplay of this film, which is written by, Tom Hanks and Via Nardalos. It really isn't the best because we have seen all of this already. The love story in this film is very minor to the larger plot (which I was also surprised and disappointed by), and it isn't any kind of special love story. Its a story that we probably have seen a thousand times. So the screenplay is kind of just blah. Then there is Julia Roberts character, Mercedes Tainot. The character was just horrible and annoying. I mean I get her story, but I think Julia could have done better if it was a more interesting character. The movie tries to make you feel sorry for her, but in reality you don't give a shit. Which leads me to Julia Roberts performance. I liked it in the end, but when she had to be the pissed off teacher . . . I hated it.

Well moving on to a more positive note now. The film I genuinely enjoyed actually. The screenplay might have been boring but I actually did like the film. I found it funny, and yet very heart warming. There was also a touch of inspiration there. I thought that Tom Hanks played the perfect Larry Crowne, who was actually a very interesting character that you cared about. He seemed like he had enjoyed going to college, when probably most older people wouldn't go because they would feel weird and awkward. I really loved Gugu Mbatha-Raw as Talia Francesco. She was prefect for her character WHOM I LOVED! Oh she was just so determined and heartfelt. I loved it how she took Larry in as a friend and made him feel welcome. I wish I could meet someone like her in real life. I may have complained about the screenplay but I did enjoy the plot and message of this film. The movie did it well too, I finished the movie feeling in a way satisfied with the way they had pulled off the message. Plus the message had stayed constant throughout the film, which I do in fact love.

So all-in-all I thought that this film was decent, and that if you need a movie to rent one night . . . this would be 100% a good choice. You should enjoy it for a popcorn flick one night when you rent some movies . . . it will make you laugh and it is a good popcorn flick. So on the scale what does it get? I am going to have to give it a three out of five.

Well thanks for reading again, and I hope you enjoyed this review of "Larry Crowne." Now some more information about the blog here before you go. See in the sidebar how it says "Search this Blog?" Well if your new and haven't seen all of the blog posts already and are thinking of a movie you want to watch, type in the name of the movie and hit search. It will give you a result above the most recent blog post, and if I have reviewed it, it should be waiting for you there and if it is there click on the link and it will take you to the REVIEW. I thought I would give you that information. So thanks again, make sure you stay tuned now . . . for more coming soon.

The Motion Picture Buff

1 comment:

  1. I liked this one because it had its heart in the right place, and the chemistry between Hanks and Roberts kept me enjoyed. However, I won’t lie when I say that this is heavily flawed, but not unwatchable by any means. Good review Noah.

    ReplyDelete