Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Possession REVIEW


The "Motion Picture Buff" would like to present a review for a genre of movies that I will review few of "The Possession" which is a scary movie. In this film a young girl makes her father purchase an antique box at a yard sale, not knowing that inside the box lives an ancient evil spirt. The girl's father and ex-wife team up to find a way to end the curse upon their child.

Well hm I might as well get the negatives out of the way in this film even though there are quite a few within this film. Well I want to start with the way the film flowed. It seemed to move really slow most of the time. This wasn't just due to the screenplay, which wasn't really the greatest (seemed kind of blotchy), it was due to the direction of this film. There were scenes where the camera just paneled around something, and when it did that it seemed to take forever. I think the director, Ole Bornedal (perviously done: "Nightwatch") was trying to build the scary moment, but when in reality he was just slowing the movie down more. Then there were some scenes that I feel like it should have showed more and didn't or it just wasn't as scary as it could have been. Then there was actually one thing about the script or story I guess that had bothered me quite a bit. There was this very relevant character to the plot in the whole film, then something happened to him but you never really knew what happened to him. Moving onto how scary was this movie, well it was creepy (more on that later) but I feel like they used to many "jump scares" which in a scary movie I feel like they shouldn't use to many of them. Then there was one person's acting in this film that was just on and off. Jeffrey Dean Morgan played, Clyde (the father), and his acting was really good at some points, but then there was sometimes within this film where I wanted to punch him for being so bad.

Now good things from this scary movie. Well I am going to have to say that this movie is a good creepy scary movie. It does scare you, but in a creeped out sort of way. If you know what I mean? So I do give it some credit for that because scary movies I have been watching lately haven't really creeped me out or scared me except for making me jump. This film though had me freaking out from a minute into the film. I did like how in some scene though that the would just BANG cut to the next! It gave the film a more creepy edge to it. Then the acting by Natasha Calis, was spectacular . . . oh she played Em, the girl who was possessed. I felt like she did a very good job being EXTREMELY creepy in some scene. Ugh she just creeped me out. One last thing I do want to say is that this film does have a good story to it that kept me somewhat interested. Could have been better, but wasn't really a negative (almost).

So all-in-all I think that this is an excellent movie to watch for a scary movie night! Probably want to start with it at the beginning, and then continue on with better ones from their on. So if your having a scary movie night, this would be a great film to pick up at your local rental place! That's it though, thats all I would give it for that. On the scale out of five though . . . I would give "The Possession" a two out of five.

Well thanks for reading this review, I hope you enjoyed it. Sorry haven't been doing reviews and other posts, been so busy with friends leaving for college. Seems like now I am going to have more time to do reviews though . . .  and to watch movies. I do want to say thanks if you have been trying to get the word out about "The Motion Picture Buff Reviews" I really appreciate! Every page view helps me continue to do this. So make sure you subscribe by email in the sidebar, so you will be emailed when I update the blog with another post! I do want to say thank you again for viewing and to make sure you stay tuned for more . . . coming soon.

The Motion Picture Buff

No comments:

Post a Comment