Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers REVIEW


The "Motion Picture Buff" would like to present the second installment in the reviews of "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy." In "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," Frodo and Sam edge closer to  Mordor with the help of the shifty Gollum. The now divided fellowship makes a stand against Sauron's new ally, Saruman, and his hordes of Isengard.

So for this review lets start with the positives since last time we started with the negatives. Well I again really liked the acting within this film. I thought almost everyone did an good job. I really like Viggo Mortensen in this film. I thought he had gotten a lot better from the first film. Then there is Orlando Bloom, who I really didn't like to much in the first film, who does a way better job within this film. The chemistry between him and John Rhys-Davies is just great too. Speaking of an acting roles, I really LOVED Gollum (not really acting but you know what I mean). Andy Serkis does an amazing job with the voice of Gollum. Ugh he was just so creepy, and the voice for him is just done so well. I loved how they did the one scene where it was Gollum and Smèagol talking together. Oh yes it was extremely creepy but in a good way. Peter Jackson does a great job with directing this film. Yes the film jumps from a whole bunch of different plots within the film, but the way Peter does it, I just couldn't imagine it any better way. Then with the acting scenes, well done Peter. Well done. The music again was really good, I did like it a lot better in the first film but still was very good. Back to the visual effects, for its time they have had to been the best! I am impressed even in some scene today, after 10 years. As for the plot I really liked it, I liked it A LOT better than the first film. I am not sure why, I was just more interested throughout this entire film. It seemed a lot more interesting than the first, plus there was more of Gollum in this one, and I really like to hear his back story.

Now of course in every (well almost every) movie there has to be some negatives. For the second "Lord of the Rings" film I really didn't like how Gandalf was gone the whole movie. I mean I thought he was going to be a little more important, since I thought he had died in the first. I don't really know if it is a negative, but I guess I just thought he would have a little more to do than what he did. Then there was still Elijah Wood in this film of course. I still hated his acting in this film. He really isn't the greatest actor, but I guess it is better than replacing him. That would most likely have bothered me more (plus they filmed this movie as if it was one movie). Then there is still Sam Gamgee. I am still so annoyed with his character. His character is extremely annoying. Sean Astin does a good job at playing him, but the character he has to play is annoying. My last thing I will say here is, "Why is it called, 'The Two Towers?' "

So all-in-all, this movie in my opinion was way better than the first film in the trilogy. I enjoyed it much more, and I would say that it is worth buying, BUT only on DVD! I watched it on VHS, and I felt like I didn't need the Blu-Ray version of this film. There is no need to dish out the cash for that, but on DVD would be good, a lot better quality still than VHS (which they no longer make). As for a rating on the scale out of five? I would have to give "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" a four out of five rating.

Well thank you for reading my second installment of reviews for "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy." I hope that you are enjoying them. I seem to be enjoying these films more now than I remember in the past. "The Two Towers" ended really stupidly because now I cannot sleep without watching the last film. That wasn't originally my plan, but now I am going to have to. So stay tuned for the last installment in reviews for the "Lord of the Rings Trilogy." I also would like to say that, I will be working on the new tab tomorrow for the blog, so it should be ready by Tuesday for SURE! Thanks again for reading and stay tuned . . . for more.

The Motion Picture Buff

No comments:

Post a Comment