Monday, October 14, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey REVIEW


Welcome back to the Motion Picture Buff! I would like to present my review of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. In this film a young and unwilling, Bilbo Baggins, is recruited on a "unexpected journey" to the Lonely Mountain. He goes out on this journey with a bunch of spirited dwarves who are out to reclaim there mountain back from a vicious dragon.

Well starting this review, I would like to start out saying that it is refreshing to be brought back to Middle Earth. It was just last year that I watched the Lord of the Rings Trilogy for the first time and I enjoyed the journey so freaking much! This movie has a lot lighter tone than the Lord of the Rings movies, but yet it is truly enjoyable. Martin Freeman is seriously the greatest Bilbo Baggins. Yeah sure Ian Holm is a great Bilbo Baggins, but he plays the older version of Bilbo. Martin is the perfect version of a younger Bilbo Baggins, he even looks somewhat like Ian Holm. Anyway it is great to see Ian McKellen again as Gandalf the Grey. Now talking about all the acting in this movie, I have got to mention the dwarves. They were all fantastic for their roles, but the best one of course was the dwarf Thorin who is played by, Richard Armitage. He is prefect for the character he portrays.

Now the story in this movie is pretty good. There were a few issues I had with it. The first one would be the beginning of the movie. I felt like the beginning of the movie took forever. It was literally just so slow. The beginning to forever to pick up and get exciting, about an hour into the movie is where the movie began to get interesting. Then the other two things that bothered me later on in the movie were there were two action sequences in the movie where the dwarves and everyone were running away from bad guys. With both of these scenes they just seemed ridiculous and way over the top. The first one seems like a children's movie and is just hilarious instead of serious. It was one of the things that I really did hate about this movie.

Lastly in this review I would like to talk about the music, cinematography, and direction of this movie. First off the score of this movie is perfect. Howard Shore did a great job with Lord of the Rings score's and I am glad they brought him back for The Hobbit scores ahead. Next I wanted to talk about the cinematography in this film. In the LOTR movies the cinematography was dark and gritty. In The Hobbit films they are a little lighter and not at all gritty. This works for the movies, as they do have a lighter tone to the whole story. So lastly I wanted to mention director Peter Jackson. With most of his movies he is a very good director, for example, King Kong and The Lord Of Ring Trilogy. With this movie Peter Jackson excels again at giving us an enjoyable movie and an a perfect trip back to Middle Earth.

Summing up this review I would say that The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a perfect addition to the films that take us to Middle Earth. It is a good start to another trilogy about the character Bilbo Baggins, and his adventures he was in back in the day. Sure its a little slow and over the top in some parts but other than that you will enjoy it pretty well. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey isn't a must-see film. I would say if you are a fan of the LOTR trilogy then it is a must-see, but other than that I would say it works one night for a popcorn movie night. It is worth owning and I would recommend buying it on Blu-Ray, just in case you wanna watch it sometime. As for a rating I would give The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey a 7/10 star rating.

Well thank for reading . . . this didn't seem like the best review but I hope you enjoyed it anyway. I hope that you will continue to enjoy my reviews. Stay tuned later tonight because I plan on doing a couple more tonight yet. Well thanks again, and stay tuned for more . . . coming soon.

Noah Mark Bitney

No comments:

Post a Comment