Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire REVIEW


The "Motion Picture Buff" would like to present his fourth installment in the reviews of the "Harry Potter" franchise, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire." In Harry's fourth year at Hogwarts, he finds himself unwillingly put into a multi-wizard competition. Not only does he fight great creatures, but something from the past is brought back up.

So lets begin with the negatives of this film shall we? Well this film at points has just a mindless tone to it. I don't know really how to describe it. It's not really slow, but it just has somewhat of an emptiness to it. I don't know if you are getting what I am trying to say but thats the best apt description I can give. The next thing I wanted to mention is that the hair in this film sucks. I usually only say that if its really good, but this film is an exception because it is terrible unfortunately. Just all the guys hair in the film is WAY to long and it just annoys me.

Moving on though to the positives of "Goblet of Fire." Well the acting is just as good as ever in this film. All the child stars are growing up and maturing, along with their characters. Which leads me to the director who has to deal with this hormones and the changes that happen when the kids hit the child to teenage changing point. Mike Newell (again another new director for the franchise) does a great job with this film, and I was sad to see him not return for the next. Sliding back to the action though because there are two new MAIN characters introduce in this film, well one really one just gets an actor to his name now. Brennan Gleeson who plays Mad-Eye Moody and Ralph Fiennes (who plays, well I cannot say or I will give away the story). They both do a fantastic job, and Ralph just is OUTSTANDING! That is all I can say there. Now moving onto the music of this film . . . and this is where the music of Harry Potter takes a turn. Patrick Doyle is the composer for "Goblet of Fire" and all I have to say is that he does a decent job. Nowhere near as good as John Williams but a decent job that is a buy if you want. There are some good tracks there. The screenplay is good, which is one again helmed by Steve Kloves. He just has a way with making the book not directly to the film, but getting the main feeling out of the story. It is a step up from the kidsy-mush that the first three have and it gives it a more dark tone to the series, which it now will need. It is a darker film and it will grab you by surprise.

So all-in-all I am going to have to say that this Harry Potter film is defiantly my favorite so far in the series (we are only halfway). It is a Blu-Ray buy worthy film I believe, which leads it into a must-see film again for the "Harry Potter" series. It is also a GREAT popcorn flick for the whole family. Now for the rating out of five? Well "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" is going to get a four out of five.

Well thanks for reading this review of the fourth film in the "Harry Potter" franchise. I hope that you have enjoyed it and that you are going to stay tuned for the other "Harry Potter" films reviews coming soon. If you have not seen the previous three see them here: "Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, and Prisoner of Azkaban." Thanks again and make sure you stay tuned for more . . . coming soon.

The Motion Picture Buff

1 comment: