Saturday, October 5, 2013

Gravity REVIEW


The Motion Picture Buff would like to present a review of the new film, Gravity, written and directed by Alfonso Cuarón. This film is about a medical engineer and a astronaut stuck adrift in space after an accident destroys there space shuttle. Gravity follows their story to see if they can survive this terrible ordeal.

(Hands Clapping) Well firstly I would like to go into saying that Sandra Bullock really did an outstanding job with her role in this movie. What I mean is that I was really captivated by her performance in this movie. For almost half the movie I was stuck on the edge of my seat wondering if she was going to make it. Sandra really took hold of this role and made it her own. Her emotions really transpired into the viewers because what she was feeling was pretty much what we were feeling. There is so much I want to say on her performance, but at the same time I do not want to give anything away. To sum up her performance though I will say this, if she does not at least get nominated for Best Actress for the 2014 Oscars, I will be shocked and terribly upset. Oh and someone is going to need to get punched in the face because she excelled at this role.

Moving on, the story in the movie was just fantastic! I loved how they really made us care about these characters in this film. You really connected to them and you were stuck on the edge of your seat rooting for them the whole way through. The beginning of the movie was really good and got you hooked right away. I loved the set up to the event that sets Ryan Stone and Matt Kowalsky adrift in space. It worked because it got you some insight into your characters before the chaos. In excitement to see this movie, when reading about it I also heard that George Clooney was perfect for his role, and of course I would have to quite agree. He just seems like the perfect astronaut, and he, like Sandra, really pull of some of the best acting I have seen any movie this year. George is usually good at anything he does though. Back on subject though, the story/plot of this movie all just makes sense and connects perfectly. When the characters are doing something you understand why they are and what the purpose is. Ryan Stone's story too, really gets to you and you really do care about her. You really want to see her succeed and make it back on the planet safely.

Now a couple last things I want to touch on before I end this review is the special effects, Alfonso Cuarón, and the sound effects. So firstly I want to say that the special effects in this movie were OUTSTANDING (yes all capitalization is necessary). You really felt like you were in space with them. So many stars out there, and the view truly was beautiful. If this movie isn't nominated for those special effects, something will be seriously wrong with the academy. Next Alfonso Cuarón and his son, Jonás Cuarón, wrote a beautiful film that I will make sure to enjoy countless times. The dialogue is flawless in the movie, I love it so much. The fact that Alfonso directed this movie is great to because I was a fan of his work since Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. He did a good job then, but he has done a great job with Gravity. Lastly I want to talk about the sound effects. I love how in this movie they used the actual physics of space and put no sound when something happen in space. The space shuttle getting attacked . . . just random debris crashing into it, but yet no sound. I think this really added something to the film to make it more enjoyable. That sense of isolation I would say.

Summing this review up I would say that there would be nothing wrong with it. I thought long and hard about it before I did this review and I couldn't find one thing that I did not like. Sandra Bullock pulls off an amazing performance with a movie that Alfonso and Jonás Cuarón wrote. I would for sure give Gravity a must-see movie rating. With that it also is a perfect movie night film and you had better buy it on Blu-Ray because it going to look and be 20 times more amazing than DVD. When seeing it in theaters I will say that it will be fine in 2D, but it is totally worth the 3D ticket price because it adds a perfect level of depth. As for the rating out of 10 starts, Gravity deserves a solid 10/10 rating.

Well I hope you enjoyed this long and extensive review of Gravity. I really enjoyed the film and I completely recommend that you check it out this weekend. So stay tuned for more everybody, because it is . . . coming soon.

Noah Mark Bitney

No comments:

Post a Comment