Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest


Continuing with the series here is my review of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. In this film Captian Jack Sparrow must race to get Davy Jones's heart to avoid being sucked into giving service to Davy Jones. This quest brings all other friends and foes together on the quest to see who will control the ruler of the sea, Davy Jones.

Well starting out this review I want to mention that the cast again is still fantastic. From the first film the return the cast and everyone does a great job. Johnny Depp really is the perfect Captian Jack Sparrow. As I mentioned in the review of the first film, the cast does a really good job at portraying their characters perfectly. There could be no one better to play each one of these characters. A couple new characters are introduced in this movie though. As mentioned above the character Davy Jones is in this film and he is played by Bill Nighy. Bill Nighy seriously does a fantastic job as the bad guy in this movie. Sure there is a lot of CGI when it comes to the character, but Bill Nighy has the greatest voice for this character along with just the look in his eyes. I know that is a weird thing to say, but you can just see the emotions in his eyes. Now the other character I want to mention is Lord Cutler Beckett, who is portrayed by Tom Hallander. Tom doesn't have a huge role in this movie, but in the next Pirates film he will. As for his performance, you have just got to love it. His posture is perfect. The character is a huge prude and Tom Hallander plays the part perfectly.

Now the other main thing I want to talk about story of the film. This is actually a huge negative for the film in my opinion. Do not get me wrong I really did enjoy this film, but I want to mention how choppy and slow this film is. There are scenes within this film that seriously make no sense on why they would be in the film. They just seem like added pieces to increase screen time, so I think they could have cut out quite a few scenes in this movie. You sit there in the film wondering, "Why is this important to the film?" Then there are also parts of the film where the order of things really does not make sense in the slightest. Like why is that there, when it should be there. Basically in my opinion the screenplay could have been written way better. Sure it is an interesting story but there are parts that could be touched up, rewritten, and taken out.

Now the last few things I want to mention are the special effects, the cinematography, and the music. So firstly I want to talk about the special effects in this movie. Actually this movie had won an Oscar in 2007 for it's visual effects. They are pretty darn good in my opinion as well, because the Kraken in this film is spectacular. Its hard to believe how good and real everything looks even though this movie was made in 2006. Next I want to mention the cinematography which I always appreciate in a movie. This movie does a great job with its direction of photography who was done by Dariusz Wolski. He has done some great work in the past and now future as well in, Prometheus. In my review for that film I mention how good he does, and with the Pirates series he also does very well. Now lastly I want to mention the musical score of this film, which for this film is under the hands of Hans Zimmer, instead of Klaus Badelt who did the first film. Hans Zimmer is seriously a great composer right alongside of John Williams. He takes some songs from the original score from the first film and gives it his own spin. He does a great job with the score and in my opinion it is worth a buy. I always have a thing for the musical score's of movies.

Summing up this review I will say that Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, is a seriously enjoyable return to the world of Captian Jack Sparrow. We get all our favorite characters back along with a few new enjoyable ones. Sure it has its flaws but it is seriously a good movie. It is not great but it is good. As for the ratings I will still give this film a must-see rating because the Pirates trilogy are a classic film that everyone should see. I will say that it is worth a buy on Blu-Ray, but there is not need if you do not have the money or technology. It is just as good on DVD. The visuals will just look better with Blu-Ray. It also makes a perfect popcorn movie night. Sometimes I get together with friends for a Pirates of the Caribbean movie marathon. Now for the rating out of 10 stars I will give it a 7/10 star rating. 

Well I hope you have enjoyed this review of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Sure it is not perfect but I hope you enjoyed it all the same. I will try and take some more time out of my days to make good quality reviews. Later today I will have the post about this week's trailer of the week. So stay tuned for more . . . coming soon.

Noah Mark Bitney

No comments:

Post a Comment