Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Black Swan REVIEW


The "Motion Picture Buff" would like to present a review for the 2010 movie, "Black Swan." In this film a ballet dancer is the prefect dancer for the white swan in "Swan Lake." She wins the lead role, but as time progresses she becomes more and more like the black swan.

Well shall we begin with the negatives of the film? Well lets just say that in some points of this film it can be SUPER slow and just down right boring. Then there is times when it is hard to distinguish between Nina's (main character) imaginations or reality. There are times when I had a hard time telling if what was going on was real or not. I did also want to mention that at some points this film could just be a little bit to weird. There are parts where it is good, but then there is just the down right weird scenes. So to recap this film could be boring and slow-paced at times, and also that it could get confusing when it came to Nina's reality.

Other than that I really liked this film quite a bit. Natalie Portman was just OUTSTANDING. Seriously if anyone ever deserved their Oscar it was 100% her. This girl can really act the dual personalties just perfectly. Natalie was also really good at the depressed look Nina always had. She was literally transformed into her character, Nina. Mila Kunis is also in this film and she just like Natalie, did incredible. The chemistry between them too was amazing! Now, the rest of the cast also included: Vincent Cassel, Barbara Hershey, and more. The cast was filled with amazing talent and great dancers. Speaking of dancing, everyone did fantastic. The choreography was just outstanding and if Natalie did all her own dancing . . . well done is what I have to say. I usually am not a dancer type person and I do not enjoy watching it usually, but holy shit was this dancing good in this film. I do also want to move onto the cinematography of the film. I thought it was literally beautiful for this film, and helped the film with its feel of dark emotions. So I guess a well done does go to the cinematographer, Matthew Libatique. Now the story of this film I thought was very intriguing as well. It's a girl transforming/losing herself to her character she has to become for the part she so desires. I thought Mark Heyman, John L. McLaughlin, and Andres Heinz created a good script, just needed to fix issues above. Now director Darren Aronofsky was at the helm of this movie. I can say he did a good job with this movie. I was interested and pulled into it, just needed to fix issues above. Yet though he did do a good job.

So all-in-all a good film that is enjoyable. It has its negatives, but then it has it's strong points; one of them being the cast! For the ratings I am going to give it only a rent worthy rating. Its not a movie you need to buy because it really isn't something you will watch over and over again. It's possible that it is a must-see film though because Natalie's performance is just that good, plus it is still rather enjoyable movie. It is 100% a tour-de-force film too. As for the rating out of five, "Black Swan" will get a 3.5/5 rating.

Well thank you for reading and I hope that you enjoyed this review. I do want to mention that I only have one more review/post before I will be doing my 100th blog post! The 100th post is going to be for a special movie to me. It's not my number one movie, but it is a movie that made me fall in love with the film industry. So stay tuned for more . . . coming soon.

The Motion Picture Buff

No comments:

Post a Comment