Sunday, October 28, 2012

Dr. No REVIEW


The "Motion Picture Buff" would like to present the beginning of the James Bond reviews with the first Bond movie, "Dr. No." In this film James Bond must investigate the death of a colleague in Jamaica. This leads him to a mysterious island, which also leads him to the mysterious Dr. No. Dr. No has plans to end the United States space program.

So shall we begin this with some positives about this film? Well the acting I am going to say I enjoyed. Sean Connery was the perfect James Bond for the age. He had the looks, the voice, and he played the part perfectly. Ursula Andress, Jack Lord, Bernard Lee, and others were also in this film. I thought the acting from each individual was enjoyable. Not amazing, but good enough to enjoy. Moving on I am going to have to say the whole premise of James Bond is quite interesting to me. I love spy mysteries. They are good, especially when they are played out well. This one seems to be pretty good and keeps you interested at what is happening. I will say I did like the direction by Terence Young. I thought it was pretty good, and I felt like he helped create an intriguing film. Oh I did also want to say that the score and the James Bond Theme is just AMAZING. I give a lot of credit to Monty Norman for creating a great score. I loved it.

Other than that though I have a bit about this movie to complain about. I am going to start with the end of the movie. Well I feel like it was WAY to quick. I mean they had about an hour an a half build up to the end and it ended in a matter of maybe five to ten minutes. I just felt like it could have been a better battle between the good and evil in the end.  Then there is the fact that this movie at some points could be extremely slow and boring. I mean there are points in the film where nothing happens for at least 10-20 minutes. Just dialogue and some of it not even that interesting. Their is also the villian Dr. No. Maybe I missed it but do they explain what was wrong with his hands? Like what happened to them?

So all-in-all a decent start to a franchise that is still going on today. "Dr. No" came out in 1962 and "Skyfall" will be released in the US in less than two week. Their have been 23 Bond movies today, and "Dr. No" definitely set the tradition for the Bond films. I enjoyed it and if you enjoy a good spy film, so will you. As for the ratings, I will give it a DVD buy rating along with a popcorn flick rating. A must-see? I am going to have to say no. For the rating out of five, "Dr. No" will get a 3/5 rating.

Well thanks for reading and I hope you have enjoyed. Their are more Bond movie reviews coming soon so make sure you stay tuned for them. I did also want to say that make sure you "like" the "Motion Picture Buff" on Facebook HERE. Thanks again ands stay tuned for more . . . coming soon.

The Motion Picture Buff

No comments:

Post a Comment