Sunday, September 23, 2012

Gangs of New York REVIEW


The "Motion Picture Buff" would like to present a review for the film, "Gangs of New York." This film takes place in 1863 in the Five Points area of New York. In this film Amsterdam Vallon (played by Leonardo DiCaprio) returns to the Five Points to seek revenge against Bill the Butcher (played by Daniel Day-Lewis), his fathers murderer.

Lets begin with the positives from this film. Well the acting from everyone is outstanding! Really, I think this is the first movie that I have ever seen with Daniel Day-Lewis and I have to say he is an amazing actor. He really "was" his character in a sense. He can also play a GREAT villian. I was just loving his performance. Then there was Leonardo DiCaprio, he always does an amazing job in every film of his I have seen. Got to love his performance. It just shocks me to see that he doesn't have an Oscar yet. Cameron Diaz is in this film and usually I am annoyed with her performances. For this film that is not the case, good job Cameron. This film also has Jim Broadbent, John C. Reilly, Brendan Gleeson, and Eddie Marsan. They all do a terrific job and I do love there performances. There is of of course more actors and actresses in this film but to many to list. Everyone though did a great job. Moving onward I did enjoy the cinematography in this film as well, very well done. I did also enjoy the sets in this film. I thought that for this film they must have had to work hard, and yeah its weird to here me mention the sets. I did enjoy them though. Moving on with the screenplay . . . I did enjoy the last half of this film, after the climax of the film I guess. It gave me a great ride after that.

The negatives now though. Well lets just say that this movie had no originality to it. You have seen this story probably a hundred times. Guy falls in love with a girl, but its captivated by his revenge against the guy! There is that and that the first half of the movie I was so confused on what was going on, and the fact that it was so slow paced and boring. The first half of the film was just a bore. The film had also just had no like meaning to it. I really never felt anything for one guy or for the other. I didn't choose a side because really I didn't care. Shouldn't it have made me care?

So all-in-all your going to get a good film that you might enjoy. The performances are great and thats what made me enjoy the film the most. So what is this movie going to get? Well I would give it a rent worthy rating . . . maybe even a DVD buy worthy. It could serve as a popcorn flick with you and your friends one night. Oh and for sure a tour-de-force. As for the rating out of five, "Gangs of New York" is going to receive a 3/5 rating.

Well thanks for reading this review. I am hoping that you enjoyed it and will come back for more. One last thing to say before I sign off this review though. Make sure you 'like' "Motion Picture Buff" on Facebook, just click the 'like' button in the sidebar. You can even click HERE! Thanks again for reading, I really appreciate it. Stay tuned now for more . . . coming soon.

The Motion Picture Buff

No comments:

Post a Comment