Friday, September 28, 2012

Cast Away REVIEW


The "Motion Picture Buff" would like to present a review for the movie starring Tom Hanks, "Cast Away." In this film Tom Hanks plays a FedEx executive who was involved in a plane crash in the middle of the ocean. He must now transform himself to survive on a deserted island.

Well lets get the negatives out of the way first shall we? Well I am not sure how I feel about the plot and the flow of the story. To me it just seemed like it was very jumpy, and it just didn't show enough of his transformation on the island. They show like the first couple days of him being stranded, but then they skip to four years later and him plotting his escape now. I dunno I guess really what I am complaining about here is the plot. It just seemed to flow wrong in my eyes. It was also extremely slow in spots. Along with the plot though, the dialogue in this film was a bit unnatural. I think if you have seen this you will understand what I am trying to say. All-in-all dealing with the screenplay . . . it was an interesting premise for a film and done okay, but could have been way better. The only other thing that bothered me was Helen Hunt. Her performance in this film was just okay. I felt like she was just reading lines.

Now for the positives. I am sure you can guess (if you have seen it) that I am going to talk about Tom Hanks performance. What I wanna say here is that this man can act. WHOLY SHIT! I was freaking impresses. He can really give an outstanding performance. That one scene with Wilson (his volleyball) friend. I seriously started to tear up because of him. Well done sir . . . well done. Robert Zemeckis does the directing for this film and I want to say good job also. I loved the angles of the camera and the look and feel he gave to the film. I really did enjoy this film. Where the movie should be slow usually because it is a man stuck on a deserted island, he makes it somewhat interesting (except mentioned above). So props to that. I so love how they kept the film quite in these parts and just made the sounds of the waves. It was fantastic, so props to the sound team too for a great job with the waves. I thought it was brilliant.

So all-in-all a decent enjoyable film that has a great premise but could have been told better. I will say that it is DVD buy worthy and that it is a must-see because of the performance by Tom Hanks. It is really that great, "WILSON!" Anyways for the rating out of five for "Cast Away" I will have to give it a 3/5 rating because of the plot (that seemed to really bother me).

Well thanks for reading and I am hoping that you enjoyed this review of "Cast Away." One thing before I end this review is that make sure you like the blog here on Facebook. Click the like button in the sidebar to do so. Thanks again and make sure you stay tuned for more reviews of motion pictures . . . coming soon.

The Motion Picture Buff

No comments:

Post a Comment