Thursday, September 20, 2012

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince REVIEW


The "Motion Picture Buff" would like to present the sixth installment in the reviews for the Harry Potter films, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince." At Harry's sixth year at Hogwarts everything has changed. Auror's are guarding the school and Professor Dumbledore is frequently gone. In Harry's potion class though Harry finds a book marked, "This is the property of the Half-Blood Prince." Harry also searches into Lord Voldemort's past to find a weakness of the dark lord.

Well negatives of this "Harry Potter" film? Hm actually there aren't to many . . . one of them being this movie is just a little slow. There are just some scenes that need a little more edge to them, and your sitting there wondering when something exciting is going to happen. The little bit of action in this movie to is just short . . . the action scenes (like Quidditch scenes) seemed rushed. Could be due to fact that this is the second longest movie, and they had to give a lot of information in this film to set up the finals but still. Last thing to mention is that this "Harry Potter film" seems to move away from a tone that we thought the series was on track with. Nothing major though.

We now move onto the positives of the "Harry Potter" film. Well this is another one of my favorites and I have great reasons why. Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint 100% give there greatest performance to date. In this movie you can see how much they have grown as actors, along with the other teenage actors that have grown up with the films, like Tom Felton (who really shines in this film). The adult cast too in this film really shines. Alan Rickman is just a GREAT Professor Snape. Then there is Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix, who was BORN to play this part. There is more but I could go on forever here. One other actor though I have to mention is Jim Broadbent as Horace Slughorn! He fit the part perfectly and he really became Horace. I loved him in this film. Now again I touch on something I wouldn't in a review . . . cinematography. I loved the look and feel of this film, it just helped create a better experience. Director David Yates is also to thank for that . . . and in this film I do begin to think he might be the right guy for the rest of Harry Potter. Steve Kloves returns again (thankfully to save Harry Potter) to write the screenplay which I have to say I love. He did a great job, and I love how he made some humor into this film (but this also helps with the unfortunate thing above). In my "Order of the Phoenix" review I forgot to mention the music which for these two films was helmed by Nicholas Hooper. I liked the "Order of the Phoenix" one better, but this one is really good too. He brought something to both films that fit the tone of each VERY well. Thank you Nick Hooper, they are of course must-buy scores! I have them both in my collection.

So all-in-all this is a great addition to the "Harry Potter" franchise. It is actually a good kids film even though the last two weren't actually, this is another reason why I said a negative when saying this film lost that tone of darkness. It is of course a must-see film along with a Blu-Ray buy-worthy. "Half-Blood Prince" will also get a popcorn flick rating. As for its review out of five what will it get? Well, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" get a 4/5 rating.

Well thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed the sixth installment in the reviews of the "Harry Potter" series. Haven't seen all the reviews yet though? See them here: "Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, and Order of the Phoenix." I hope you have been actually enjoying these reviews of the "Harry Potter" series. I have been wanting to professionally (somewhat) review them. Thanks again for the continued support though, and make sure you stay tuned for more . . . coming soon.

The Motion Picture Buff

No comments:

Post a Comment