Sunday, September 9, 2012

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone REVIEW


The "Motion Picture Buff" would like to present the first part in his eight part reviews of the Harry Potter series. So "let the magic begin" with the review of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." Well (as most of you probably know) this film is about a young boy who discovers he is a wizard, and that somehow when he was just a baby he had defeated the darkest wizard of all time. Harry Potter learns that he is also accepted into "Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry" and there he learns and proves how great of wizard/human being he is.

Well lets start out with the negatives that came from this movie. Before I get into them though I do want to say that I am going to try and do my best with the professional reviews here . . . I am a HUGE fan of the series. Well a negative I am going to have to say that this movie can be a bit slow and extremely predictable at times. What I mean by this is that the story just moves along slowly, the movie most likely could have been shorter (but more to come later). What I mean by predictable is that it really isn't surprising what happens at all. You have seen this in other movies before this one came out.

Otherwise I would have to say I loved everything else. They choose the prefect cast for this film I thought. All of the young kid actors in this film did amazing. For directing kid actors/actresses, director Chris Columbus, did a fantastic job. He also had to direct the well known actor/actresses that were included in the older parts of the cast. All of the acting performances in this film were great. Some of the more famous (older) cast in this film include: Richard Harris, Maggie Smith, Warwick Davis, and Richard Griffiths. Of course there is more, but I thought I would mention a few. The story line in this film (expect for things mentioned above) was good. I thought it did a really great job setting up the beginning of what will become a GREAT franchise. Oh course I have to talk about the look of this movie . . . which is incredible. Stuart Craig was in charge of "Set Direction" and he did a GREAT JOB! Everything just looks authentic and SO real. Then we move onto the wonderful score created by none other than the greatest composer of all time, John Williams. GOD, I swear he knows how to compose a film. I would have to say that you have to make sure you purchase this score because I sure did and I LOVE it! He just adds to the movie in so many ways that you never thought was possible. What I really have to say as a positive is that I was a perfect book-to-film adaption for the first book in a franchise, and it began something that no one ever thought would become as big as it is today! It really is the perfect beginning for a franchise and I could have never imagined it any other way.

So all-in-all what is "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" going to get on my ratings? Well for starters it is 100% a "must-see film" because it is defiantly a classic that nearly anyone will enjoy. It has also become a huge phenomenon that had consumed the world. It gets a "buy on Blu-Ray" rating and it is a good popcorn flick for one night. On the scale out of five what will this film get? "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" will get a four point five out of five.

Well thanks for reading and I hope that you enjoyed the first part of the eight part reviews of the "Harry Potter" series. Two more reviews will be coming tomorrow night so make sure you stay tuned for that soon. I have really been waiting to do these reviews, so I hope that you will enjoy them. I do want to mention that I have a twitter account for movie quotes now, so follow HERE, if you want tweets of random movie quotes on your timeline. Thanks again for reading and make sure you stay tuned for more . . . coming soon.

The Motion Picture Buff

No comments:

Post a Comment